Out of Town

We moved 1000 miles away from our friends and family and just had a new baby....

Monday, January 24, 2011

Starting up the Blog Again

OK. I haven't written on the blog for about 3 years. But we are starting a new plan in my house, and I want to keep a record of it. I would not expect anyone to read this, but it is good for me to write down my thoughts and plans.

I have been reading some great blogs over the past few years. In particular, Oceans of Joy, A Mother in Israel and her companion blog Cooking Manager, and Orthonomics have inspired me to try to get organized, cut my food budget, and get my family on a better path.

With that in mind, we are starting a food prep and cleaning plan that will hopefully cut our food bills and keep our house neat and organized. I have committed to cleaning up for 15 minutes a day the main rooms of our house (living room, dining room, kitchen). I will do this with my 4 year old and 2 year old between the times that we get home from school at 1 pm and when my 8 year old gets home at 3:45.

Also, we have created a menu for the week. This is, for me, the key to being both organized and frugal. I am going to try to stay out of the grocery store for the rest of the week, except for some fruit that I still need to buy for the week. But on Sunday we went shopping to 3 stores, spent about $45, and that should be all we need to spend this week. Of course, I am fully stocked up on meat and cheese.

Last night we had chicken fried rice with veggies. I cooked 2 cups of asian rice. I fried one onion, added my leftover shabbos chicken (a wing, a breast and a thigh), a bag of frozen peas and 1/2 a bag of frozen corn. It was yummy, filled everyone up (except for my 4 year old who had yogurt instead) and cost only a few dollars to make.

The rest of the week is:

Monday: Meat chili with rice
Tuesday: Falafel with laffa and Israeli salad
Wednesday: Homemade pizza
Thursday: Noodles and cheese
Friday (Shabbos): some type of fish, chicken soup with lots of veggies, meatballs, veggie kugel, rice, and green beans
Shabbos day: chummus, coleslaw, turkish salad, cholent, taco salad with chicken, kugel

If we keep up the plan for 2 weeks ( the cleaning and the meals) we are going to go out to a restaurant to celebrate. We haven't eaten out since Sukkos when we were visiting family in LA. Before that, I think the last time we ate at a restaurant was when my baby was 2 months old and he is 9 1/2 months now... My kids are really excited for the reward, so hopefully it will keep us all motivated to continue.


Blogger mother in israel said...

Thanks for the mention, and good luck with your project.

January 27, 2011 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Mara (Kosher on a Budget) said...

Good luck! I'd love to hear more about your cleaning plan, as that's one area that I really struggle with, too.

January 30, 2011 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home